Blog 14
Woolf talks about the struggles that women went through during her time. She talks about how they were not treated equally and how they were not valued in public the only time they were looked upon was at home were they were supposed to stay and clean. Women were not allowed to hold jobs, they were also not allowed to talk back to their husband they had to respect everything he believed and obey him. If they did not they were punished severely. Most of the women in that time period looked to their husbands for everything they would not do a thing without his approval. Women were not to do anything but take care of their children and household and make sure that every single need of their husband was satisfied. In the Shakespearean time women were not allowed to act in plays so men used to play the part of women. I find that horrifying I think it’s a disgrace to have a man act out a woman’s role. For one I don’t believe a man can fulfill a woman’s position in any place let a lone in a public play. I think that might have led many men to like other men because of the roles they played they got in touch with their feminism. Its weird that they were so strict on women having a role in public to the point were men had to play a woman’s role because women were not allowed to.
1 Comments:
I thought it was interesting that young boys played women in the plays. If women were not important enough to act in the play, they should not have been in the play at all. I enjoyed your blog!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home