ENG 3010

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

What kind of government does Thoreau feel would be just?

Thoreau in the story “Civil Disobedience” explains an unjust government. He talks about a government that is governed by the majority. In this he explains that a government is better when it does not govern that much. Then he says that the government is best when it really does not govern at all. He explains how a majority rules leaving nothing behind for the few minorities. He then says that in order to voice your opinion you should rebel against that government. Some ways of rebellion he gave were to stop paying taxes to the government. I can see were rebellion comes from but there are many ways you can rebel other than not paying your taxes which can place you in jail. The minorities can petition the government until their voice has been heard. In a lot of ways I can see why one would say that a government that does not govern at all is best. Then again when I really think about it I see that if a government does not govern then what good is it. Who will protect the country? Who will set rules and boundaries? A government is an essential part of a country in my eyes. To voice your opinion you should let your voice be heard. Rebellion hurts you the person just as much as the government. It is our country we live in it, we should petition against the laws or rules that we do not agree with. So, my opinion of civil disobedience is very different from Henry Thoreau’s, I believe that a government that governs well is a government that governs best.

2 Comments:

At October 14, 2007 at 9:48 PM , Blogger Keith Preston said...

True, There would have been a lot of more effective ways for Thoreau to rebel against a war he didn't agree in, but he stated that he didn't find it moral to support the war by paying that tax. Even if he had shown his objections in another way, he would still have to deal with his issue against giving money to the government.
I didn't see Thoreau as asking for a government that didn't govern so much as a government that doesn't impinge upon the lives of it's citizens.

 
At October 16, 2007 at 12:29 AM , Blogger DF said...

Very well written blog. I completely agree with you when you say that there really are rational ways to stand up to the government and provoke change.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home