ENG 3010

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Rawls

Rawls talks about the government in today’s societies and how the poor should have a say in government policies as well. His theory of equality goes to everyone in the society the poor, middle class and wealthy. He was more convincing in having the minorities voice their votes and play a bigger role than they do now. He believed that if a law was a disadvantage for the poor then it shouldn’t take action. I agree with Rawls in many ways, just because minorities don’t have much power doesn’t mean that they have no say in policies. Then again I don’t believe that a group of people should be the deciding factor as to which policies are to be in tact. No one should have laws made to satisfy their own personal needs. A majority and a minority should be treated equally and each individual in either one should have the same equal chance to vote and voice their own opinion as the other. I don’t agree with his idea of “justice and fairness” because I don’t believe that it is fair to favor a group of people. Yes we should have laws to protect and support those in need but we also need laws to do the same for the wealthy. Being poor is certainly not a disadvantage in today’s society because you can still have a say in policies and rights. It will only effect a community if the minority of the people are poor, because then the wealthy would be the majority and the vote will be won over by them. Our nation was based in a lot of ways on majority votes, which means what most of the people want. I think that the minorities can get what they want if they were to come together and deicide on a good for all.

1 Comments:

At October 20, 2007 at 12:55 PM , Blogger Bobbie said...

I think some good points where brought up in this blog. However, although I also agree that the minority should come togther, if they are the minority I still doubt that they will change the policies.Major changes are still up to the majority. By coming together though, the minority can at least have their voices heard.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home