Is it Better for A Prince to Be Loved or to Be Feared?
I believe that it is better for a prince to be loved than feared. I say this because I think than in order for the people of his country to trust and believe in him they should have faith in him, not fear him. Then when I read what Machiavelli had to say, I’m surprised to say this but it gave me more of an understanding as to what to be a feared prince is. The idea of it wasn’t actually as bad as I believed it would be.
For a prince to be feared he shall be strong and powerful, just what a country would need. This kind of prince can fight his own battles and stand up for his country. On the other hand a prince that is loved can have no insight on war and may not know what to do if it ever came to him. I’m not saying that a prince should be hated though, I think that a feared prince can also be loved by his country and have their respect. For he would be their supporter.
Keep this in mind, to be feared the person shall not kill without mercy. For then he will be hated. He should be tolerant of all that goes on and know right from wrong. A merciful prince is a respected prince. So overall, I believe that a prince should be feared by others but loved and respected by his country. Just remember this if you gain the respect of your people, you gain their love and support also.
7 Comments:
I agree that the way Machiavelli talks about being feared over being loved isn't as bad as it sounds. When he puts it the way he does, it doesn't sound bad at all. Men basically look out for themselves and their best interests. It is easier to betray someone that you love than someone you fear. Fear is a powerful thing. Of course, as a normal person.....I would rather be loved.
This comment has been removed by the author.
I think Maciavelli does, just as you say, describe a feared leader in a manner which is less radical than we think. Although I have to say I think that there needs to be a fine line which a feared leader should not be allowed to cross.
I agree with you... a prince should be loved by his own people, and feared by others. Although then one could agrue, just as Machiavelli did, that love alone cannot keep even a prince's own people on his side. So then he would need to be feared by his own people also. I believe a happy memdium is necessary...something inbetween being merciful yet feared.
Another good reason for a leader to be feared would be to maintain power. If the leader was only lovable and not feared, if someone from outside tried to take over he has two great ways to do so. One, he could be more lovable and win the people over by his charm and take over, or he could make the current ruler's people fear him so that they will do as he says and not what the ruler wants them to do. If a leader is feared (but not hated) it is easier for the ruler to maintain power.
I completely agree with you...it is better for a prince to be loved rather than feared. Who would respect someone that they could only resent? Your ideas were very intriguing. I also agree that a leader needs to find something in between being feared and loved. Your entry was very well-written! I agreed and could relate to many of your ideas.
I think you did a good job in understanding the areicle. Good job.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home